1890’s Greek immigrants begin to arrive and settle in Baltimore

1906 Formal establishment of the Greek Orthodox Church “Evangelismos”

1907 Arrival of Rev. Constantine Douropoulos as the first full-time priest

1909 Parish incorporated under Maryland State Law; Acquisition of the Homewood Avenue and Chase Street Church

1912 First Orthodox burial grounds purchased at Woodlawn Cemetery; Greek language school established for parish children

1915 Formation of the first youth group organization, Greek-American Athletic Association

1918 Formation of the first chartered affiliate of the parish, Greek-American Association Progress

1921 Establishment of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in New York

1922 Visit of the first Archbishop, Alexander of Rodostolou; Political turmoil between Royalists and Venizelists escalates

1923 Charter amendment supporting the new Archdiocese causes Royalists to form the Holy Trinity Church at Broadway and Monument Street; Greek community remained divided by politics for nearly seven years

1926 Establishment of Enosis (Union), first ladies’ group

1929 Reunion of Baltimore’s Greek Orthodox Community at the Homewood Avenue Church

1935 The Very Rev. Joakim Papachristou begins a fifteen-year pastorate

1936 Establishment of the Philoptochos (Friends of the Poor) Society

1937 Purchase of the Preston Street Church for future expansion; Historic procession from Homewood Avenue to the Preston Street;
Professor Athanasios Theodorides employed as choir director

1938 Consecration of the Preston Street Church by Archbishop Athenagoras

1940-1945 War Years are marked by Greek War Relief efforts and countless displays of American patriotism by the Greek community

1942 Purchase of the Greek Center (Cathedral and Preston Streets)

1943 Establishment of the Greek Orthodox Cemetery on Windsor Mill Road

1946 Fortieth Anniversary Year Celebration; Establishment of EONA (youth organization)

1948 Ordination of American-born Deacon Soterios Gouvellis as the new Assistant Priest

1950 Controversial dismissal of both Father Gouvellis and Father Papachristou; The Very Rev. Philotheos Ahladas begins his four-year tenure

1951 Choir groups reorganized with Georgia Topal as director; Organization of GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America)

1952 Establishment of the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox community

1954 The Rev. George P. Gallos, the first full-time American-born priest, begins his eleven-year pastorate

1955 Establishment of the Ladies’ Tea Guild (later renamed Women’s Guild)

1956 Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration; Presbytera Anna Gallos becomes music director

1958 Parish Assembly votes for Annunciation to remain at Preston Street

1959 Groundbreaking for new Education Building adjacent to the church

1960 Opening of the Education Building

1961 Dedication of the Education Building officiated by Archbishop Iakovos

1965 Donation of new iconostasion to complement extensive interior renovations; The Rev. Emmmanuel E. Bouyoucas begins his ten-year pastorate; Georgia Tangires becomes music director

1966 Church name officially changes from “Evangelismos” to “Annunciation”

1967 Testimonial honoring Lawrence Cardinal Shehan and Archbishop Iakovos; Lucy Hagopian begins her career in the Annunciation Church office

1970 Establishment of the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox community

1971 First Athenian Agora Festival

1975 Parish elevated to Cathedral status with Bishop Silas officiating; The Rev. Elias Velonis begins as Assistant Priest for a four-year period;
The Rev. Constantine M. Monios becomes the new Dean of the Cathedral

1979 Ordination to the priesthood of Deacon Mark B. Arey who served until 1982

1980 Interior renovations in the Byzantine style approved by parish assembly

1981 75th Anniversary Celebration spans over a nine-month period; Opening of the Chapel of Holy Wisdom within the Education Building

1982 Opening of the Cathedral Parking Garage on Maryland Avenue; Opening of the Chapel of the Holy Resurrection at the parish cemetery;
The Rev. Louis Noplos becomes Assistant Priest through 1996

1984 Establishment of the Annunciation Orthodox Center following the purchase and renovation of five historic town houses

1985 First pilgrimage to the Holy Land

1986 First woman elected as Parish Council President (Loretta S. Prevas)

1987 Annunciation parish marks 50 years at the Preston Street Church

1989 Cathedral Building marks 100 years of existence as a house of worship

1990 Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios I visits Washington, D.C.

1992 Cathedral receives historic designation by the Commission on Historic and Architectural Preservation

1994 Acquisition of additional Preston Street town houses for future expansion

1995 First Adult Bible Study Retreat

1996 90th Anniversary Doxology celebrated at Annunciation Cathedral; Ordination of Deacon Constantine Moralis to the Holy Priesthood;
Rev. Louis Noplos assigned to the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church

1997 Visit of Ecumencial Partriarch Bartholomew to the Annunciation Cathedral

1998 Extensive interior renovations are completed

1999 Elevation of Metropolitan Demetrios of Vresthena as the new Archbishop of America

2000 Tri-Parish Millennium Celebration on New Year’s Day; Completion of the Cathedral Elevator and dedication ceremonies;
Father Monios observes 25 years as Dean of the Cathedral

2001 Rededication of the Mentis Room; First Winter Bible Camp program held at the Annunciation Cathedral

2002 The Very Rev. Constantine Monios fell asleep in the Lord; The Rev. Constantine Moralis elevated to the status of Archimandrite
and installed as Dean of the Annunciation Cathedral

2003 Enthronement of Metropolitan Evangelos as spiritual leader of the Metropolis of New Jersey

2004 Father Dean Moralis Bookstore opens in the Education Building

2005 Ordination of Deacon Peter J. Thornberg to the Holy Priesthood

2005-2006 Centennial Celebration begins with Salutations to the Virgin Mary followed by a yearlong itinerary of historic, religious, and social events Culminating with the 100th Anniversary Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and Centennial Grand Banquet

These highlights of history are excerpted from latest Cathedral publication entitled “House of God, Gateway to Heaven”. This book, published November 2007, tells the complete story of 100 years of Annunciation’s progress with an introduction giving a fascinating insight into the establishment of Baltimore’s Greek Orthodox community in 1906.

Download order form: House of God, Gateway to Heaven

The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation is a parish of the Metropolis of New Jersey of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, located in Baltimore, Maryland.

Online Giving

Make a donation to the Cathedral. It's fast, easy, and secure!

Learn More

Centennial History

Click the image above to order a copy of House of God...Gateway to Heaven; the Cathedral's centennial history book.